Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Biblical Principles for Cultural Decision-Making

A few weeks ago, I was listening to my favorite minister, Matt Chandler, while driving to work. I always appreciate what he has to say, as it is very insightful, and as far as I have seen, in step with scriptural teaching. I wish I could share everything I have learned from him, but alas, my memory is poor. That particular day, though, he made a reference that caught my attention: "The Radical Reformission" by Mark Driscoll, which I read last fall. The next time I was at home (and had put some change in the parking meter also known as my memory), I looked the reference up in my copy of "The Radical Reformission", and thought it had some good guidelines that seem to be founded on scripture. I was recently reminded that I had wanted to share this by some questions posed by a friend. Without further ado, here are 12 Biblical Principles for Cultural Decision-Making:

1. Is it beneficial to me personally and to the gospel generally?
'"All things are lawful for me," but not all things are helpful. "All things are lawful for me," but I will not be enslaved by anything.' -I Corinthians 6:12

2. Will I lose self-control and be mastered by what I participate in?
'"All things are lawful for me," but not all things are helpful. "All things are lawful for me," but I will not be enslaved by anything.' -I Corinthians 6:12

3. Will I be doing this in the presence of someone who I know will fall into sin as a result?
'But take care that this right of yours does not somehow become a stumbling block to the weak. For if anyone sees you who have knowledge eating in an idol’s temple, will he not be encouraged, if his conscience is weak, to eat food offered to idols?' -I Corinthians 8:9-10

(Keep in mind, with the above principle, that we ought to be sensitive to the truly weaker brother, but make no allocations for a Pharisee [legalist or moralist, defined as someone who likes to create mandates for themselves as well as everyone else, that are not given in scripture, making themselves feel that they are somehow 'better' or closer to God]. I heard something to this effect on The White Horse Inn, but I'm not sure if I'm repeating it correctly.)

4. Is it a violation of the laws of my city, state or nation?
"Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God. Therefore whoever resists the authorities resists what God has appointed, and those who resist will incur judgment. For rulers are not a terror to good conduct, but to bad. Would you have no fear of the one who is in authority? Then do what is good, and you will receive his approval, for he is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God’s wrath on the wrongdoer. Therefore one must be in subjection, not only to avoid God’s wrath but also for the sake of conscience. For because of this you also pay taxes, for the authorities are ministers of God, attending to this very thing. Pay to all what is owed to them: taxes to whom taxes are owed, revenue to whom revenue is owed, respect to whom respect is owed, honor to whom honor is owed." -Romans 13:1-7

5. If I fail to do this, will I lose opportunities to share the gospel?
"If one of the unbelievers invites you to dinner and you are disposed to go, eat whatever is set before you without raising any question on the ground of conscience. But if someone says to you, "This has been offered in sacrifice," then do not eat it, for the sake of the one who informed you, and for the sake of conscience— I do not mean your conscience, but his. For why should my liberty be determined by someone else’s conscience? If I partake with thankfulness, why am I denounced because of that for which I give thanks?" -I Corinthians 10:27-30

(I am not sure whether the one doing the informing is a non-Christian, or a weaker brother. If anyone has insight on this, I would love to hear it.)

6. Can I do this with a clear conscience?
"So I always take pains to have a clear conscience toward both God and man." -Acts 24:16

7. Will this cause me to sin by feeding sinful desires?
"Let us walk properly as in the daytime, not in orgies and drunkenness, not in sexual immorality and sensuality, not in quarreling and jealousy. But put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh, to gratify its desires." -Romans 13:13-14

8. Am I convinced that this is what God desires for me to do?
"Therefore one must be in subjection, not only to avoid God’s wrath but also for the sake of conscience."
-Romans 13:5

9. Does my participation proceed from my faith in Jesus Christ?
"But whoever has doubts is condemned if he eats, because the eating is not from faith. For whatever does not proceed from faith is sin."

Thought: How much of conscience is built into our nature, and how much of it is a result of the environment we are brought up in, and is the latter of any consequence?

10. Am I doing this to help other people, or am I just being selfish?
"Let no one seek his own good, but the good of his neighbor." -I Corinthians 10:24

11. Can I do this in a way that glorifies God?
So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. Give no offense to Jews or to Greeks or to the church of God, just as I try to please everyone in everything I do, not seeking my own advantage, but that of many, that they may be saved." -I Corinthians 10:31-33

12. Am I following the example of Jesus Christ to help save sinners?
"Just as I try to please everyone in everything I do, not seeking my own advantage, but that of many, that they may be saved. Be imitators of me, as I am of Christ." -I Corinthians 10:33-11:1

As a final commentary, our chief end is to glorify God and to enjoy Him forever, the two being intertwined. You cannot enjoy God without glorifying Him, and you cannot glorify Him without enjoying Him (I stole this, inadvertently, from John Piper).

No comments:

Post a Comment